Saturday, May 2, 2009

"nonne amicus certus in re incerta cernitur?"

(a friend in need is a friend in deed (our equivalent))
Well wasn't the truth 28 years ago today.... I am a tad more relaxed today! Memories of the day...there are a few that a jostling to be top of the list....
...Pete asking ME where I put the rings....rings? what rings?
...losing it immediately...how do you get married without rings? Why would anyone want to show me the engraving on the rings when all I can think about is the catering arrangements for the reception. Must have been completely half-baked back then...who in their right mind would decide to cater for their own wedding? [particularly after such a lengthy engagement...8 weeks?]

...photographic evidence exists of the next memory...sitting, red eyed, in mum's back yard with an almost empty bottle of beer in front of me [no other glasses]
...then being incapable of doing my own makeup...Claire earnt her keep as chief [one and only] bridesmaid that day. Hence the title for today...she has been there for me though the highest and the lowest points of my life. All the way for the last ...gee...how long....I almost need a calculator to work this one out!! Have we really known each other for 33 years give or take a month here and there...I was 21 when we met so I SUPPOSE it is getting closer to 34 years...we have shared a few birthdays since then. Remember the year we tried to gain admission to a gay bar in Swanston St? They were happy to let Dave and Duke in but not us...

My birthday has always been a special day that I have spent with family and friends. Today has been no different. Tracey and I had a lovely afternoon at the Canterbury Art Show. She bought me coffee and lunch before detouring to her place [for a glass of quite delectable white wine from the Marlborough Sound] before dropping me at home...

I am now sitting here sipping white wine listening to my birthday present...a DVD of LEONARD COHEN LIVE IN LONDON. It is the same concert that we went to her at Rod Laver...absolutely wonderful. He is just so wonderful. He looks wonderful on the big screen. Poor Pete...he will just have to put up with me singing this time...I restrained myself at the concert but I don't have to here...

WOW...Lachie has just hung all the washing out...what a wonderful birthday present. I am very spoilt! [and rightly so...LOL]

and now I am out of here.....Die dulci fruere.... Ciao...♥♥

2 comments:

  1. hmm...does anyone know how to change the time on the post...started writing it this morning but have only just posted it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful story my Romabean (your wedding and friend Claire)...and so happy your special day was so lovely. Can't wait to hear you singing along to that CD!

    ReplyDelete