The Lord's Prayer (Our Father)
Pater noster qui es in coelis,
sanctificetur nomen tuum;
adveniat regnum tuum,
fiat voluntas tua,
sicut in coelo et in terra.
Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie,
et dimitte nobis debita nostra,
sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris.
et ne nos inducas in tentationem
sed libera nos a malo.
Amen.
Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come,
thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day, our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
Amen.
Thought long and hard about whether or not to translate this in English but felt I shouldn't discriminate against the non Catholics who didn't grow up in the era of the Latin mass... LOL
I was so touched my Jane's comment on Facebook
"I am absolutely overwhelmed by your mastery of Latin! I had no idea we had such a scholar amongst us!!!"
that I felt prompted to try and impress you even more....
Memories ...the melodic droning of the Latin gobbeldey goop drowning out my fathers muffled snores from the back of the church [in Maldon] ...or did he not fall asleep in mass way back then [1950's]... I really need my siblings to bail me out here...
I do vividly remember the midnight mass in Deniliquin...I used to be so embarrassed that I would encourage Al to sit upstairs so that when the buzz saw started [he was well past gentle snores by this age!!] people may not know who it was... What a hoot...his snore was quite distinctive....I'm quite sure all the church going Catholics knew!! [they certainly also knew how often we DIDN'T go - mighty quiet today folks!!!]
Not that I can talk about etiquette in church...in particular funerals...but that is a story for another day...
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
Amen
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment