Thursday, July 2, 2009

"Cave cibum, valde malus est."

(Beware the food, it is very bad.)

Ha Ha...this is so untrue about the kitchen here that it is laughable...
At times I think it is the only reason I have remained married for so long....
One day my MIL [who is a very good cook of basic wholesome fare..] commented that she didn't know I could cook... DUH???

I wish I could remember what impressed her so much...I suspect it was roast pork followed by an apple sponge for desert...not that we needed desert...
I love to cook a roast and always cook 6 or 7 vegetables with a roast...
I love my veges!!
When I cook a roast I always roast potatoe, pumpkin [squash for you topsiders], onions, and if I have them and can be bothered I add parsnip, carrot and sweet potatoe to the roasting pan. I always cook up peas or beans while making the gravy and how much else I cook depends on how many I am cooking for. If it is a big mob I add a tomato bake along with cauliflower cheese....

LOL...is it any wonder I am nearly as wide as I am high?

Now you are wondering what on earth has prompted me to waffle on about what I like to cook...
We have just finished devouring rather delectable 'T' bone steaks.

Back in the 70's when I left home and started cooking for myself 'sizzle' plates were all the rage. EVERYONE had them...and I mean everyone. Order a steak in a pub and that is what it was served on... Well, to cut a long story short, nostalgia got the better of me recently and I lashed out and bought myself some cast iron plates. It has taken me a while to season them... luckily I remembered how I seasoned my steel wok so many years ago. It is burnished black with all the use it has been put too over the years. Finally my sizzle plates are reaching the stage that I am really happy to cook with them. It is hard to remember what they looked and smelt like when I got them.

Tonight we had Hasselback potatoes, onions, tomato and mixed greens [peas, beans, broccoli]. I enjoyed it so much I wonder why I cannot be bothered cooking properly more often...probably wouldn't now be a diabetic if that was the case!! It was so delicious I could have eaten it all again .... but then I would feel like it was Christmas day!! There was certainly enough on the plate... I just hadn't quite finished enjoying the experience!

All washed down with a nice glass of red...
Now I am almost ready for bed...

Good grief...the last two lines rhyme...best top up my wine glass!!

perhaps this post should have been titled....

"Tempus amoris cubiculum non est..."
(The time for love is not in the bedroom...) It is in the KITCHEN!!

Die dulci fruere.

1 comment:

  1. Well written my sweet Bean!
    Such healthy fare...and I totally related to eating the second plate, not because of hunger, but because I didn't want to stop tasting the yummy food! Guess that comes somewhat out of being raised with a "scarcity" mentality (for me).
    Sounds like you had a very busy day...sorting out stuff for the rubbish AND cooking a fine meal.
    Good for you!
    I can't wait to see those sizzling plates!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete